Pages

Thursday 28 November 2013

Let's Rather Be Happy





Happy Thursday! : D

So, I’ve been panic-stricken these past few days and drained of every motivation to post anything. 

Following the launch of Koko Hill, I have received tons of accolades that were supposed to be a source of fortification for me, but instead and very unlike me, I got cynical. I felt this massive fear. Fear of failure, precisely. Fear that I may not be able to sustain the tempo, and then these rhetorical questions started accumulating in my head, “what have I gotten myself into”? “Why did I bother”? “Can I really do this”? “Will I be able to meet up with these expectations”? And so on.

I didn’t have answers, but deep down, I knew I needed a sharp thump to snap out of my mood and regain my mojo. 

So, this morning, I got chitchatting with my crazy and ever sarcastic friend, I relayed my feelings, and just about what I needed, without embellishments or sympathy, she said, “dey dia na, fuck up and you’re finished”!

Boom! I experienced this rush of enthusiasm and vitality all over me once again and an exceptional inspiration to write about this topic. 

Perhaps, it may just be the thump you need to get you out of your own doubts and forlorn.

In my pursuit of happiness and inner peace, I discovered two things matter

1.       Confidence in what God says about me
2.       Confidence in myself which comes from believing in Number 1

Nothing else matters to me, not the negative opinions of other people, especially the ones who contribute nothing to my welfare.

To be happier and at peace with myself, I recognized I needed to be in control of how events unfolded in my life, or at least, respond to the ones beyond my control proficiently and gracefully. My priority being basically to be deaf and blind to other people’s negative vibes and drama.

Sometime ago, my colleague whined about how some group of gossips targeted and spoke bad about her, not minding she always had been cordial to them. At first, I was tacit, but deeply, I pitied her, because she was obviously bothered and had wrinkles of worry on her forehead. Something she may have been oblivious about. Consequently, she lost her composure, became clumsy and overwhelmed with duties she normally performed effortlessly. 

Her concerns are not strange to me, because from my encounters with people on the social media and loved ones, was the awareness that many of us live the part of our lives to please everyone but ourselves, because we are terrorized by their opinions about us if and when our actions oppose their expectations. Therefore, we take ‘idiots’ doling out ‘idiotic’ opinions seriously.

I believe in what I told her.

We should stop caring about other people’s thoughts about us so much.There are opinions and criticisms we need not take seriously. Now, I don’t mean promoting our opinions above others or ignoring professional and purposeful advise or criticisms that will better our future. Those ones (that is) that are meant to construct, not demolish. Benefit, not harm. Enhance, not deteriorate. Energize, not wear down, and so on. In each situation, if the former is not the essence, rise above the rubbish and  keep running with your dreams and visions. 

Know this too; malicious gossips and criticisms are the tools employed by miserable people to consign you to their states of misery. DON’T LET THEM!!!

Get back into the driver's seat of your life. Be yourself, because in the end, you will still be criticized regardless of whom you chose to be. 

So, I say be criticized for being you.

All the best.

1 comment:

  1. no matter what you do..them must talk... c'est les êtres humains pour moi

    ReplyDelete