Pages

Wednesday 18 December 2013

African Queen - Truly Timeless

 A great song should lift your heart, warm the soul and make you feel good - Colbie Cail

I don't blame Annie Macaulay.

I don't blame her for saying 'I do' to Nigeria's most renowned ladies' man, a man who already had kids with other women, well including herself.

As the African Queen tune infiltrated the entire air of the vehicle in a ride to work this morning, I had ripples of goose-pimples rush through my body. Unquestionably, I felt pangs of rigors which caused my teeth to rattle uncontrollably. But then, it was a very chilly morning, and part of these sensations might have been in reaction to the weather. My fascination with the song no doubt contributed to them.

As I sang along quite loudly and above the singer himself (at that moment totally oblivious of the breezy and chilly hands of harmattan), I thought to myself, on account of this mesmerizing masterpiece alone, I'd most likely do the same.

In profound admiration of his Nigerian sweetheart in particular, the lyrics as well as the video also depict the magnificence of the African women in general. The flicks of three gorgeous ladies fully clad in various African maiden regalia and the succinct summary of the entire lyrics in the concluding "so black, so beautiful...I love you" further epitomize this adoration. Devoid of any auto tune embellishments, Tuface soulfully poured forth his emotions to the lady he finally married, predictably so.

Federick Delius said it best, "music is an outburst of the soul". I couldn't help being taken by the depth of Tuface's natural expression of innocence, respect and satisfaction that blended so perfectly with the lyrics, which could have bedazzled Annie. I speak for her because I was also swept off my feet. :D

The African Queen track is not novel to me. I listened to it for the first time in the year 2006 on its release and exclusively praised it to high heavens. Seven years later and the song hasn't lost a bit of its freshness and appeal.

YES!

1. I still believe the song is second to none all over the world.

2. I still believe Tuface is the best thing that happened to Nigeria's modern music industry.

3. I still believe the bald girl stole the show.

4. Annie shouldn't have worn weave for that video.

5. I still want to slide along to African Queen on my wedding day and every anniversary :D

6. I just discovered an alternative ringing tone if and when I'm fed up with 'Mimi Na Wewe'. African Queen.

2 comments:

  1. amazing piece ! i had goose bumps reading this.Go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuface!! Blogger u don fall 4 him?? Who cn blame u sha,any gal would.

    ReplyDelete